Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Violet chocolate fudge


“Every day has been so short, every hour so fleeting, every minute so filled with the life I love that time for me has fled on too swift a wing.” 
― Aga Khan


"They grow up so quickly".

Words I have heard countless times since the birth of my daughter, from knowing smiles of parents with children grown. And today, I thought those same words myself as I watched my little girl walking wherever she pleased, opening every cupboard, box or container as she babbled excitedly to me about whatever it is that babies ponder. I still remember as though it were yesterday, when she would fall asleep at my breast, her tiny hand wrapped around one of my fingers, her face basking in the sweet sleep of babes; such a tiny, sweet soul. I once worried that the world was too rough for such a delicate being, but now it's the world I am worried for. That little rosebud has blossomed into such a robust, rambunctious human who never tires of exploring and bustling her way around. She is a 'take charge and get outta my way' kinda gal and I adore being able to watch her 'become'.

My days have been so filled with her continual evolution that activities of my pre-child days, such as blogging, going out, personal maintenance etc seem to have fallen to the wayside. Whilst I might look a little bedraggled and quite sleep deprived I can say, that although quite challenging, I am enjoying this moment in my life, because like everything that's precious, it's finite.

On some days though, a little extra time to myself to catch up on things long abandoned is welcomed. And today, thanks to my mother-in-law who lovingly occupied my tenacious daughter, I used that glorious sixty minutes to return some sparkle to my house, eat a relaxed meal, blog and I even had some time spare to tidy my eyebrows.

And now, when she sleeps for the second time today, I can spend that respite completely on myself, needless to say there are more than a few books that need a good dusting and page turning.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 15mins (I skipped the sieve part).
chilling time: 2hours.
total: 2hours and 15mins.


taste: 3.5/5.


Violet and chocolate is a stellar combination. I have a feeling this killer duo will be making more appearances in my cooking future, just not in this particular recipe.


Whilst I loved the texture, the flavour of the marshmallows completely dominated, if you like marshmallows that may be a good thing, but I personally wanted to savour the chocolate and violets only.


would I make it again: No. Would use the violets with a fudge recipe that didn't contain marshmallows.


recipe: http://gourmettraveller.com.au/violet_chocolate_fudge.htm

6 comments:

  1. What a shame that the marshmallows dominated the flavour, as this fudge looks divine. I've never tried chocolate and violets together, but I'll definitely have to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write so wonderfully, and your pics always make me hungry!

    It sounds like our little girls are going to take over the world! I too am blessed with a rambunctious little human being.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some. I am sure it would taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pity about the mashmallow flavour, but my goodness it looks so sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete