Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lemon buttermilk pancakes with blackberry syrup


"I'd like Winter if it had more days like this."

Those are the words my husband sighed as he closed his eyes and lifted his head toward the sunshine. Despite dwelling deep within Winter's embrace we have been blessed this week with enough intervals of sun-drenched blue-bird skies to forgive the stretches of pewter-cloud rainfalls.
There is something about an unexpected sunny day that makes you cherish it that little bit more. It lifts your spirits and bestows a much needed energy refill allowing you to accomplish what you wish with a spring in your step. I was not the only one who threw open doors and banished the slumbering dust from their home today, but I was perhaps the only one who was luckily enough to taste these lovely pancakes this morning, fit for a day like today.

Lemon buttermilk pancakes with blackberry syrup
adapted from here

Makes 7 small pancakes.

Lemon pancakes:
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tbs sugar
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk

Blackberry syrup:
1 cup frozen blackberries
1/4cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and salt. Add the egg and buttermilk. 
Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat with a little butter.  Add 1/3 cup of batter to the pan and cook a few minutes on both sides, until just lightly golden brown. 

Meanwhile, combine blackberries, sugar, lemon juice and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, cook until syrup reduces to desired consistency. Syrup will thicken upon cooling.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 5mins.
cooking time: 15mins to make all pancakes.
total: 20mins.

taste: 4/5. Sunshine for your tastebuds.

The fluffy citron-hued pancakes filled with the summery sharpness of lemons pair beautifully alongside the wine-coloured blackberries bursting with rubicund berry sweetness.

would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: http://pinchofyum.com/post/6245716909/lemon-pancakes-blackberry-syrup

16 comments:

  1. You have such a poetic style of writing -- I always enjoy it so when I stop by here. I'm glad you got some treasured sunlight and enjoyed these delightful pancakes while it lasted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if you got this from my site or not (the link didn't work for me) but I made something just like this recently and I. am. obsessed. :) I am glad someone else loves it as much as I do - and I'm glad you made the syrup with real blackberries! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scrumptious! That combination of flavors is just irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really have a thing for lemons at the moment.
    Berries and lemon pancakes sound like heaven on a plate for me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lindsay - just fixed the link beneath the recipe title, thanks for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Xiaolu you have such a poetic writing style! Love it. And those pancakes look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just had me craving for pancakes like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great minds think alike! Or maybe it's just the season. But I've been making these a lot lately. Such a lovely and bright flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hungry for breakfast and these just look incredible right now! Wish I had some in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right, you do cherish unexpected sunny days that much more, and your pancakes look like the perfect way to celebrate. I love anything with lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason, I got excited and read that as lemongrass pancakes.. hahahaha... you would be proud of me.. I have a persimmon recipe! NO MEAT! Yayy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. although we've plenty of sunshine these days, i can always enjoy a zing from lemon-flavored goodies. lovely display!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely. These look utterly divine. I will certainly make them - hopefully v soon!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am drooling at my screen right now!

    We saw you on food gawker and we just started following you! Cant wait for more treats!

    Love,

    http://chickswholovetoeat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks beautiful!!!! I'm gonna try these soon.

    ReplyDelete