Sunday, February 8, 2009

Iced honey mascarpone and almond cake with fig salad


Meals eaten with members of family, especially those you haven't seen in a while are some of the tastiest and most satisfying.

Every Easter and Christmas, one of my father's siblings hosts the get together and we all come over with plates of food and/or gifts. I have never had it at my house, as our old house simply could not accommodate everybody (around 25 or so). After finishing our new place I thought I'd invite everyone down to see it at once. It was also a great chance to see everyone before our wedding in two weeks.

I was stressing over the food a little as I wasn't sure how much to get. I didn't want to spend a fortune and end up with kg's of leftovers (especially meat left overs) and I didn't want people to go hungry either. Thank goodness everyone ignored my request that they not bring anything, as I wouldn't have had enough. I forgot that our family love food and actually eat - a lot. At least I know have a better idea of how much is needed should I have anything at my place again.


Oh, and a big shout out to my three aunts, Helen, Penelope and Roula for all of the times they let me make mud pies in their gardens or stir their sauces. And to my yia yia who had to clean up spilt milk, crushed beans and chocolate sprinkles from my pantry adventures in her kitchen. Thank you for encouraging my curiosity of cooking - my husband thanks you :)

ease: 3.5/5. Takes time, lots of washing and messy.
prep time: 30mins to bake two trays of dacquoise, I did everything else while these cooked and cooled.
cooking time: 8+hours of freezer time, and 30mins in the fridge before serving.
total: 8 hours and 30mins.

taste: 4/5. Everyone enjoyed this - it really does need the amaretto figs and raspberries to add a little more flavour and contrast to the creamy cake.

would I make it again: Maybe - a little time consuming, but it did go over fairly well.

recipe: http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/iced_honey_mascarpone_and_almond_cake_with_fig_salad.htm

3 comments:

  1. wow, this looks fantastic.

    best wishes for your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definately was a yummy cake, as was the rest of the food and a great day with loved ones. Your welcome Chanel for thanking me in helping your interest in cooking - but I think I was probably the most anal of the aunts and much more thanks really goes to Penelope, Roul and especially yiayia - who has the patience of a saint with allowing kids to be free and experiment! Hope to see you again soon (apart from at the wedding) XX Thia Eleni

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the presentation of all the food, i can imagine ryan eyeing it off as it cooled.

    maybe you should get a window for your freezer door? :)

    ReplyDelete