Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Red lentil soup


I love lentils.

My favourite soup is Fakes - a Greek soup made with brown lentils. I also love all other variations of lentils. My husband, on the other hand, is not a fan. I have made him slurp a few spoonfuls of fakes but apart from that he steers clear as most he can. Which is why I have a feeling he won't be receiving tonight's dinner with open arms.

When I came across this soup I was happy; I am hoping the coconut milk and sun dried tomatoes might show him lentils in a whole new light; a flattering light that enhances their curves and makes him want to eat them all up. Fingers crossed :).


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 10mins.
cooking time: 40mins.
total: 50mins.

taste: 3.5/5. Initially I received a 'this looks like crap' and then 1minute later another shout out - 'hold on, it's actually nice'. Finally - my husband likes lentil soup. I on the other hand found it a little thick (I did add an extra 1/4c sun dried tomatoes and I used whole lentils). I was also a little disappointed in how little the coconut came through.
I would definitely add an extra 250ml of coconut milk next time which would also help to thin it out and increase the coconut flavour which I love.

would I make it again: Yes - with some modifications.

recipe: http://web.mac.com/marciaskitchen/Site/Red_Lentil_Soup.html

2 comments:

  1. It looks great to me! I love lentils, especially with coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh looks yum. Of course, lentils are one of my fave soups too, so I can completely relate to the flavours of this recipe. I will be trying this one, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete