Monday, August 9, 2010

Chocolate-lavender fondants


This post has lingered like those who stay to watch the credits of a movie. All I had to do was write a few words and click publish post. But I have been stuck.
Do I write about the way the sea in Nice sparkled more brilliantly than Edward Cullen on a Summer's day? Or do I write about the magical way the sunlight is streaming through my window now in Melbourne, so densly that I feel as though I could write my name in it with just my fingertip? Or perhaps I should just leave it at that, and wait until my writing mojo has returned in time for me to write the next post. Yes, that is what I shall do.


ease: 3.5/5.
prep time: 10 mins plus 3 hours chill
cooking time: 14mins.
total: 3hours & 24mins.

taste: 3/5. This volcano is dormant.

The magic of fondants is all about the ooze. This was more of a thick sludge than ooze. Yes, the fudgy centre was nice but it's not what I wanted out of this chocolate pudding.
The cake was was also rather crunchy and firm - perhaps using a dariole mould rather than a ramekin is what made this less soft and less lava-like.
I substituted violets for lavender and thought the floral element is pretty much what saved this dish from just being a dark, and slightly bitter fudgy cake. Despite this we all polished off our plates.

would I make it again: No. I've made other fondants before that were more 'fondant-like'.



recipe: Chocolate-violet fondant with creme fraiche ice-cream

10 comments:

  1. Delicious fondants! A wonderful flavor combo!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made fondants several times using only ramekins and they aren't cakey, so I'd say it's the recipe.
    Try this recipe (I do it without the egg nog) - and no chill time!
    http://www.masterchef.com.au/chocolate-fondant-with-egg-nog.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even just that tiny paragraph was beautifully written, in my humble opinion. Lovely lavender as well..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a dormant volcano, eh? how tragic. :) even though this was a bit disappointing, it still delivers in appearance--no words needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of combining chocolate and lavender together. I've love lavender shortbread and cheese so I am sure I will love this combo too. I will have to try it.

    Like you, I'm often stuck for what to write. Sometimes I even wonder if people read anything other than the recipe.

    As Elizabeth commented, I think the short paragraph you wrote is beautiful. I'd prefer short, well written text to pages of rambling (which I am sadly guilty of) any day.

    By the way, I love the first photo of this post. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even if the dessert didn't quite make the cut your photography of it is absolutely beautiful.

    Perhaps to make the actual recipe a little more 'fondant-y' it needs a little tweaking in ratios, because I've made things in ramekins before which were ooze-tastic. But good to know!

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this didn't turn out as you hoped, but with the flowers at least it makes for a stunning presentation. I would have swapped out the lavender, too, as it gives me quite the headache.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous fondant. Lavender add so much flavor and color. Masterful job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. its seems that even when you have nothing to write about you manage to word it so perfectly.

    I must admit I've never tried the lavender/chocolate combination. Will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved lavender and chocolate combo, such a perfect couple!

    ReplyDelete