Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chicken with shallots, prunes, & Armagnac


This week is the final week that my husband will be working from home.

Monday sees him off during the hours of 10am-6pm Monday through Friday with a couple of hours on Saturdays. I'm excited for the possibilities the new change will afford us, but I am also a little sad as we won't be together. Perhaps it is because we have only been together for 5 years, and that we are still young, but I have a little separation anxiety (or maybe a lot) when it comes to being without loved ones, especially my husband.

Time will no doubt get me accustomed to the change, but in the meanwhile I am trying to savour every minute I can with him and as a result I am spoiling him rotten (and overfeeding him) with meals and snacks. I can't help that I show love by cooking, but I think his belly may not appreciate the inevitable expansion from this week long feasting.

My husband seems to have a taste for French chicken recipes, so I thought I'd give another one a try as it's always nicer when a new meal is liked, rather than disliked, and as I've tried to tell him, I can never tell which ones will transfer well from recipe to reality as it's all in the eating. Tonight's dish is that little bit special due to some Armagnac, not something I'd use often.


ease: 5/5.
prep time:
20mins.
cooking time: 20mins.
total: 40mins.

taste: 5/5. Hubby absolutely loved this - 'I would pay $50 for this'. I ummed and ahed over whether to use a regular Brandy or go out and purchase the Armagnac, after looking at some comparisons on the internet I decided that I would get the Armagnac (and find some other recipes to put it to good use since we aren't drinkers). I am glad I bought it, I'm not sure how big a part it played in the overall enjoyment of the dish, but I wouldn't make this dish again without it. The chicken was succulent, Ryan particularly liked the shallots, and the prunes added a nice gritty texture. He could taste the alcohol and felt it brought everything together.

would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: Chicken with Shallots, Prunes, and Armagnac

2 comments: