Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Eggplant, potato & zuchinni moussaka


Back in the day, when I was still an occasionally meat eater, I used to love the days when I knew my Yia yia was making moussaka. Warm, oozy, tasty moussaka was especially lovely on cold, rainy nights - pure comfort food.

Alas it has been 15 years since I last had my Yia yia's moussaka, and for some reason I never thought to recreate it into a Vegetarian (and meat-eater friendly) version. Stumbling upon this recipe I thought, yes! - potato, eggplant and zucchini would be the perfect substitutes. As I am not Vegan I used a regular bechamel sauce found here and as I was short on time I used a jar of tomato sauce.

ease: 3.5/5.
prep time: 1hour to slice and bake all of the components.
cooking time: 40mins.
total: 1hour & 40mins.

taste: 4/5. This was a hit with vegetarians and meat-eaters alike - ('It feels like I'm eating meat'). Really tasty and yummy - it made enough for 4 people as a main course. I made the following adaptations:
  • 3 zucchinis
  • 1 eggplant
  • 4 medium potatoes
  • jar of tomato sauce (this constitutes a large majority of the flavour so make sure you use a tasty tomato sauce)
  • bechamel instead of pine cream sauce (I halved the recipe to make 2 1/2 cups)
would I make it again: Yes - filling and satisfying.

recipe: http://www.weheartfood.com/2009/02/eggplant-potato-moussaka-with-pine-nut-cream.html

No comments:

Post a Comment