Friday, October 30, 2009

Chocolate fudge brownies


When I began this blog, I intended to photograph and enter at least one of the meals I make each day. Looking back, Issometimes achieved this, but most often fell short.

The biggest hurdle of blogging each dish was writing the actual post, most days I just simply could not think of anything new to write and therefore chose not to write anything. Talking about weather and particular ingredients became a little repetitive after a while. If something really deserved to be posted, and my mind was still blank, it would be a 'short and sweet' post - I think there may be quite a few of those.

At the moment I am in a 'reading' stage - voraciously devouring tens of library books each week, with little desire to do anything else, especially write. Too much effort, I thought. Why write when I can read someone else's writing?

Well, it has been over a week since my last post, and only eleven this whole month (granted Mr Salmonella kept me busy and eating nil for one week). No where near my desired thirty which saddened me. And then I thought, well perhaps I am trying to achieve too much at the detriment of the posts and the meals they showcase. Perhaps three, at the most, four dishes a week would be more manageable, more fun and less taxing on my limited creative thinking funds.

And so I return, with a new aim of three/four posts a week, to start on a Friday with a decadent but comforting chocolaty treat.


ease:
5/5.
prep time: 20mins - includes cooling chocolate.
cooking time: 40mins.
total: 1 hour (plus brownie cooling time).

taste: 4/5. Your teeth crackle the chewy crust to sink deep into fudgy, sweet chocolate, occasionally grazing past a crunchy walnut buried beneath the deep brown gooeyness. The texture is divine, not too sticky but with enough moistness to avoid becoming cake-like - I do not like my brownies to be springy or crumbly, they must be able to make your lips smack with their density. They are a touch of the sweet side, with the unmistakable caramel streak of brown sugar.
I did not cover the brownies with foil and bake for an additional 20mins, after 40mins in the oven they were already starting to burn so I took them out and cooled them in the tray.
I substituted the macadamias for walnuts.

would I make it again: Yes. Whilst not the best brownie I have ever eaten, they are the best I have made so far. I would decrease the amount of brown sugar next time though.

recipe: Chocolate fudge brownies

3 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love my Brownies to be fudgy...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum, they look so fudgy! and such an adorable shape!

    I'm terrible, I can only manage 3 posts a week. I need to up my input!

    ReplyDelete