Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mum's chicken parmigiana with basil tomato fries


Do you ever have one of those days when everything is going perfectly and you just feel happy? I was having one of those days today; I was getting a lot of things done, spending quality time with my partner and our dog and just overall was in a great mood.

I was carrying a load of laundry downstairs when my gaze was diverted to the lemon tree/lavender area as a bird flapped its wings while launching itself from the rose trellis. I was about to turn my head when I noticed a white flutter, like a mirror reflecting the sun light. Putting down my laundry I raced upstairs to get my camera in case it was a cool looking insect. And just my luck, an absolutely gorgeous butterfly was having a rest on my dried up lavender buds. I tried to snap some shots, zooming in as much as possible with my point-and-shoot so as not to frighten away the little darling. Suffice to say I think I got a few decent shots in - it's times like these I wish I had some better equipment though, and a tripod.


4 chicken breasts
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
1/2tsp garlic minced
1/2tsp minced ginger
1tsp Italian mixed herbs
2cups breadcrumbs
1cup cornflake breadcrumbs
1tbs season all salt
1tsp paprika

Cut fillets in half and flatten slightly. Dust in flour, salt and pepper.
Whisk eggs with garlic, ginger and Italian herbs. Dip chicken in egg mixture.
Combine both breadcrumbs, season all and paprika in a large plastic sealable bag. Put chicken in bag, seal up and toss to coat.
In a large fry pan heat 1/4 cup of oil and 1tbs of butter over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 10mins or until golden brown on both sides. Transfer chicken to a baking tray lined with foil.
Spread 2tbs of any tomato sauce over the top and of the chicken and then sprinkled a handful or so of mozzarella cheese. Put under grill until cheese has melted. Serves 4.

ease: 4.5/5. You have to flour, egg, crumb, fry and then grill the chicken.
prep time: 15mins - 10mins for fries and 5mins for chicken.
cooking time: 45mins for fries, chicken takes 10mins in the pan and then 3mins under the grill.
total: 1hour.

taste: 5/5 for the chicken parmigiana. I added 1tsp of garlic as I like more garlic and I think I'll leave out the ginger next time, I have a feeling my mum just added it recently because I never tasted ginger in the chicken parmigiana I ate as a kid. I halved the amount of breadcrumbs - I only used Krispy breadcrumbs which are lightly seasoned and slightly crispy. This was my absolute favourite dish as a kid which is why I kept eating chicken after I decided to become a vegetarian at 9, I couldn't resist mum's chicken parmigiana.
4/5 for the fries, I tripled the garlic powder and doubled the Parmesan which was probably mistake as it melted and made all of the chips stick to the foil making it hard to take them off whole.

would I make it again: Yes for both - everyone enjoyed dinner.

recipe: http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2008/11/baked-parmesan-basil-fries.html

1 comment:

  1. this looks so good i almost took a bite out of my monitor just looking at the picture. my stomach is growling like a pack of savage dogs that just cornered an alley cat into no escape.

    ReplyDelete