Friday, December 12, 2008

Thai chicken & bean curry


My partner and I have been flat out with all of the Xmas orders rushing in, we've even had to start working Sunday nights just so we can get everything shipped on the Monday. As I am practically working Sunday through Friday, come Friday evening I am exhausted and dying for a chance to flake out on the couch and watch all of the shows I recorded during the week. So the thought of having to stand up and cook a meal for an hour of more and then do the washing up isn't that appealing.

As we don't like to order takeout more than once a week sometimes I will end up having to cook, so I have started to slot in quick recipes with minimal mess; this recipe was in Donna Hay as a one pot wonder - quick and a one pot dish, awesome.

2tsp vegetable oil
2tbs Thai yellow curry paste
2 chicken breasts, sliced
1x 400ml can coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
150g green beans, trimmed and sliced
115g baby corn, halved
2tsp fish sauce
125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4cup basil leaves
lime wedges and steamed jasmine rice to serve

Heat the oil in large pan over high heat. Add the curry paste and stir for 2mins. Add the chicken and stir for 2-3mins. Add the coconut milk and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and add beans and corn and cook for 3-4mins. Remove from heat and stir trough fish sauce, tomato and basil. Serve with lime wedges and rice. Serves 4.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 8mins to cut chicken and prep other ingredients.
cooking time: 20mins.
total: 28mins.

taste: 4/5. I halved the recipe but added an extra 70ml coconut milk as I love coconut in curries. The flavours were lovely, as I did not have fresh basil I substituted 1tsp dried, however I don't think it was as pronounced as fresh basil would have been. I had accidentally used up my cherry tomatoes (forgot I had to save some for this dish) so couldn't add them.

would I make it again: Yes. Both of the boys liked it, my brother thought it could have used a little more curry. However, I think by not having the cherry tomatoes and basil it probably lacked that extra dimension so I will see how it goes next time before upping any ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment