Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Honeycomb butterscotch & tapioca pudding


Sleepless nights or frequent wakings have been a nightly occurrence for me since the age of 14.

Last night was a little more interrupted than usual. It started off with my husband coming to bed at 2am, with the subtly of an elephant. Then around 3am came the first siren, one of 4, which included a very loud and hurried fire engine. Then as usual at 7am the construction of the house behind us began and from there I don't think I fell asleep once, my husband on the other hand slept straight through to 10:30am. Lucky bastard.

To stave off the inevitable irritability caused by sleep deprivation, I decided I wanted to make something gooey, sweet and warm for lunch that I could eat in my corner of our couch.

As a child I would mix up and muddle a lot of things, butterscotch being one of them. My palate was unrefined to say the least, and I often mistook butterscotch for caramel. As I got older I realised the difference and more often chose to make butterscotch as it has a much higher success rate for me than caramel does (white sugar has a vendetta against me, that I am sure of).

I've had a bag of tapioca seeds in my pantry forever, so I thought this recipe would be a good starting point to using it up. Expect some more tapioca entries to come.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 15mins to fridge stage.
cooking time: 10mins to cool and whip cream.
total: 25mins.

taste: 4.5/5. I made a mistake in that I did not soak my non-instant tapioca overnight so they remained tiny and crunchy, the boys however did not mind and wolfed them down the same.
The pudding is a smooth, sweet caramel-y butterscotch which is softened by the cloud-like sweetened cream and the crunchy chocolate honeycomb bar scattered across the top. I used a Crunchie as the crushed candy bar. It would have been even better with the chewy, gelatinous engorged tapioca pearls. Hubby found it a little sweet towards the end once the cream and chocolate had run out.

would I make it again: Yes - fairly quick, simple treat for dessert.

recipe: http://www.mytartelette.com/2008/01/toffee-butterscotch-tapioca-pudding.html

No comments:

Post a Comment