Monday, August 3, 2009

Kefta with garlic yoghurt sauce


Many meals and snacks are served up in my kitchen daily, only a tiny few manage to make it to my blog.

Whilst I enjoy cooking, most of the time I can't be bothered dragging out my tripod and setting up a picture. Lately most of the photographs were taken last minute without fuss and without any prettying up. Just like today's post, which exceeded expectations and therefore warranted a mention on my blog.

This was a quick, easy meal for a Monday night. My husband loved it so much that I thought I'd share it with you.

I slightly modified this recipe from Gourmet Traveller.

ease: 5/5.

prep time:
20mins. Make sauce whilst kefta are in the fridge - the lamb balls took around 8mins to make and roll so I left them in the fridge for about 12mins.
cooking time: 8mins
total: 28mins - less if you refrigerate them for under 12mins.

taste: 4.5/5. Hubby really loved these and wolfed them down in less than 5mins. He loved the sultanas the most but felt everything went well and was tasty.

The original recipe called for 1/2 a grated onion which I did not have, but I would add that next time.

Lamb Kefta with garlic sauce
serves 2 (makes 15 sans grated onion)

500g lamb mince
1tso minced garlic
1 tbs ras el hanout
1/4cup parsley leaves
1 egg
1/2 tsp dried chilli
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbs sultanas
25gm pine nuts, toasted
salt and pepper
oil to cook

1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
1 tbs Tahini
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbs lemon juice
salt and pepper

Combine 500g lamb with garlic, ras el hanout, parsley, dried chilli, egg, breadcrumbs, sultana, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Using your hands, wet hands and roll mixture into 3cm balls and refrigerate before cooking.
Heat oil in a large fry pan and cook meatballs, turning once, for 8mins or until cooked.

For sauce mix yoghurt with tahini, garlic, lemon juice and then season with salt and pepper.

Serve kefta with yoghurt to the side.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! I love Middle Eastern food...

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete