Friday, August 28, 2009

Roast pork & apple sandwich


Lunches around here hover on the mundane, as daily chores and work keep me busy enough to only spare a few minutes on its preparation.

I might occasionally whip up a nice treat to accompany the weekly main of toasted bread with cheese and a varying sliced meat (or if I have an extra minute, eggs with toast) but rarely do I change the main component.

Today Ryan's friend came over to help him with web-related work, which allowed me some spare time between loads of laundry and trips to the vet to make an extra-special sandwich. Pork and apple seems to be a classic paring that doesn't offend, and when cooking for someone you don't know, I prefer to play it safe and classic. I offered the boys a beer of stout, but bless their hearts they choose apple juice.

Also, a very Happy Daffodil day to everyone. For those who don't know what today celebrates, Daffodil Day and it's merchandise raise money towards cancer research. The bright yellow flowers that bloom in dreary winter are the perfect symbol for a cancer-free future.


ease: 5/5.
prep time:
12mins.
cooking time: 1 hour.
total: 1 hour & 12mins.

taste: 4/5. For lunch I didn't have time to make the bread so I used a honey & oat loaf. I halved the ingredients to make a sandwich for two (with left overs). I cooked the pork at 200C for 15mins and then at 180C for 35mins. I let it rest for 10mins. Ryan enjoyed the sandwich.

would I make it again: Yes - for a special lunch.

recipe: Roast pork & apple sandwich with stout

3 comments:

  1. A great combination! That sandwich is very tempting! Love your shots...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made something simple into something terribly beautiful - and surely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combination of pork and apples! Whenever I make pork chops, my honey always asks for applesauce on the side. REALLY yummy sandwich choice!

    ReplyDelete