Saturday, August 22, 2009

Potato & parmesan soup with parsley pesto


Winter would not be right without potato soup.

I love soup. As a child I especially loved my mother's potato and leek soup which came a close second to my grandmother's Faki (lentil soup). The upside of potato soup is that it is luxuriously smooth and a blessing when your teeth are painfully tender from yet another tightening of metallic braces. I've made quite a lot of different potato soups, some lovely, some a little boring.
What caught my eye with this recipe was the addition of Parmesan as well as a parsley pesto.

Even my soup-hating husband will try a bowl of potato soup so here's another one.

ease: 4.5/5.
I hate peeling and grating.
prep time: 18mins (to get soup on the stove and to make the pesto).
cooking time: 25mins.
total: 42mins.

taste: 3/5. Hubby rated it a 3.5 but it was much too thin for me. I would reduce the milk by at least 250-500ml as it makes the soup powdery and water thin. Thankfully the parsley pesto thickened it up a bit and added much needed flavour. The Parmesan was lost in the soup but came through the pesto really sharp and salty. DO NOT eat it without the pesto, it would be boring. This easily serves 6.

would I make it again: No - I've made nicer potato soups.

recipe: Potato & parmesan soup with parsley pesto from donna hay magazine, entertaining, issue 46

1 comment: