Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yoghurt, passionfruit & banana Eton mess


I seem to be subconsciously channelling warm weather with my choice of ingredients.

With Winter in its last throes, I am blissfully making light desserts with tropical fruits - naughty I know. It must be the powerful sunshine and warm winds that move me towards the summer tastes. There is pure joy in eating a dessert like this with your skin warmly tingling and the softest breeze playing mischievously with your hair.
Alas, I prefer not to cook with out-of-season produce, so today will be my last Summer fling until Summer finally arrives with my mega dose of Vitamin D and seasonal happiness.
It's not so bad, after all, I have a wonderful three months of Spring's bounty to look forward to eating - most of which can also be enjoyed in the occasional burst of sunlight.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 10mins.
total: 10mins.

taste: 3.5/5. Had it not been a touch runny from the passionfruit syrup, this would have been a 4.5/5. To be honest, the sugar syrup is not needed (it's also warms it up too much) - I would simply add the passionfruit as is in all it's glorious tartness, but if you need it sweeter, drizzle a little honey on top.
It is beautifully smooth with crispy, chewy meringue and crunchy tart passionfruit. Lovely, refreshing and light - it would be beautiful to eat on a sunny day with a light breeze and your legs up on the table (or a parnter). I added an extra 1/2 a crumbled meringue to each glass which I would recommend.

would I make it again: Yes - without the sugar syrup.

recipe: Yoghurt, passionfruit & banana Eton Mess

2 comments:

  1. I adore Eaton Mess - such an old-fashioned, comforting thing. And really, who'd complain about meringues and cream? Not me. The yogurt sounds a lovely, summery substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea! I love passionfruit!

    What pretty shots!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete