Thursday, October 30, 2008

Chicken with Calvados & Creme Fraiche


The weather was restless today. Intermittent rain and humid heat, not to mention brief moments of cool breezes - a taste of Melbourne's renowned all-4-seasons-in-a-day.

The erratic weather made it difficult to chose what to make for dinner. I had a few handfuls of shallots I wanted to use up, as well as some chicken pieces, so I thought the following recipe would be perfect, I only needed to grab some calvados.

Four different liquor stores later, still no calvados. At the 5th liqueur shop I gave up and bought St Remy French Brandy - hopefully it will still work out right, just with no hint of apple.

ease: 3/5. Brown chicken and onions, place in ovens, then use cooking juices to make sauce.
prep time: 12mins.
cooking time:
1hour mins. I cooked the chicken for 55mins - it was already a little dry. The sauce took about 3mins.
total:
1hour 12mins.

taste:
4/5. The boys liked it; I used 2 chicken breasts and 4 drumsticks which fed 3 well. I served it with mashed potatoes and garlic bread.

would I make it again:
No. They didn't like it enough to warrant over an hour of cooking time, plus there was quite a bit to clean up.

recipe:
http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/Chicken-with-calvados-and-creme-fraiche

No comments:

Post a Comment