Monday, October 13, 2008

Moroccan chickpea salad


I wanted something a little different for lunch today, but also substantial enough for me. I came across this recipe in a Women's Health magazine - it looked healthy and super tasty. I added some shredded chicken for the boys to beef it up a bit.

1x 425g can chickpeas
1 cucumber diced
1 red capsicum diced
1 container of grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 tbs capers (if desired)
2 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
1 3/4 tsp cumin

dressing:
1/4 cup shallots, diced
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

Combine salad and dressing in one bowl

Prepare dressing and salad separately by combining all ingredients for each in two large mixing bowls.
Pour dressing over salad mixture. Serve or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Makes 8 x 1/2 -cup servings.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 9mins.
cooking time: 1 min to combine.
total: 10mins.

taste: 5/5. Great salad that is full of flavour and substantial. I used white onion rather than red as they are sweeter and milder. I also used cherry tomatoes instead of grape and omitted the coriander. I also used just 1tsp of cumin. Flavours go beautifully together and it is not overspicy.

would I make it again: Yes. I loved it - boys wolfed it down as well, although there were a few chickpeas left.

No comments:

Post a Comment