Monday, October 27, 2008

Rosewater shortbread




Raindrops are fallin' on my head...as I run in and out of the house to do my laundry and pick some lavender. The lavender is scheduled to be relocated soon (my partner is allergic to bees so I'm trying to reduce the number of bee attractors in our garden, of which lavender is the biggest) so I thought I would utilise it while I can.

Recently I trawled through some new food blogs (how I spent my entire weekend), and bookmarked some new ones; one of which was the very stylish Milk and Cookies. As I do with every new blog I find, I click on previous entries until I can click no more. A couple of clicks in and by happenstance (my new word for the day) I found a recipe for Lavender shortbread. Gathering my trusty scissors I skipped down to the lavender and snipped away.

Spreading my small bunch across my bench I noticed something small moving in a tiny bud of lavender. And then upon close inspection I saw dozens, no HUNDREDS of tiny, pin head size bugs all throughout my lavender. Needless to say I shrieked, threw the lavender in the bin and disinfected my bench with my trusty, store bought, vanilla alcohol spray(I clean just to smell it).

I popped down to a few of my nearby supermarkets but none of them had any lavender essence :(. A trip down to Leo's may have found me some, but I couldn't be bothered in this weather.
So I swung open my bare pantry (just moved house and have started from scratch) and managed to find some Turkish Rose water. It would have to do.

ease: 3.5/5. You have to chill the dough for 30mins.
prep time: 50mins. 10mins to make dough, 30mins to chill, 10mins to cut and sugar cookies.
cooking time: 10mins at 150C fan forced. I couldn't fit two trays in side by side :( so it took 20mins to bake 18 heart shaped cookies.
total: 1hour. Only 2omins hands on time though.

taste: 4/5. It was more like a lemon rather than a rosewater shortbread. I used 1 1/2tsp of rosewater but I could not taste it at all. Would increase the amount to 2 1/2tsp next time. I rolled mine to .5cm because I prefer them to be a little moist.

would I make it again: Yes. Lovely with tea.

recipe: http://ilovemilkandcookies.blogspot.com/2007/08/this-cookies-winner.html

No comments:

Post a Comment